From the Project CBD Archives:
ADHD: Pediatric Anxiety
Why do some young people who try cannabis become daily users?
Cannabis for ADHD: An Emerging Therapeutic Option
Are doctors mistaking self-medication for cannabis use disorder?
Cannabis & ADHD
Study finds association between ADHD and cannabis use.
Caffeine, ADHD & the CB1 Receptor
Caffeine may block other effects of cannabinoids.
From the Project CBD Patient Survey:
See the full survey here.
263 survey respondents reported taking CBD for ADD / ADHD
57% Female | 38% Male | 4% Prefer not to say
People reporting that they were using CBD for ADD / ADHD (attention deficit disorder /attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) typically had Inattentive Type or Combined type. This group frequently reported that they were using CBD for other issues such as mood issues (78%), pain (68%), and sleep problems (60%).
Similar to participants using CBD for PTSD, this group was almost three times more likely to be using CBD for alcoholism/addiction, as well.
In addition, they were more likely to be using CBD with or from cannabis rather than hemp- derived CBD alone, meaning they were more likely to be using some THC with their CBD.
Types of ADHD/ADHD:
Changes in Symptoms:
Participants were asked to rate how CBD impacted seven common symptoms of ADD/ADHD (see chart below), indicating whether the symptom was a “much better,” “little better,” “no change,” a “little worse,” or “lot worse.” CBD appeared to be most helpful with staying on task, minimizing distractibility, and mitigating agitation or irritability. It appeared less effective at minimizing the tendency to lose things and procrastinate and sometimes makes those symptoms worse.
Scientific Research on CBD & Cannabis for ADD/ADHD:
- Searching for a Neurobiological Basis for Self-Medication Theory in ADHD Comorbid With Substance Use Disorders
- CBD and clozapine reverse MK-801-induced deficits in social interaction and hyperactivity in Sprague-Dawley rats
- Subtypes of ADHD and cannabis use
- Childhood and current ADHD symptom dimensions are associated with more severe cannabis outcomes in college students
- Oral delta 9-THC improved refractory Gilles de la Tourette syndrome in an adolescent by increasing intracortical inhibition
- Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC
- ADHD Is Highly Prevalent in Patients Seeking Treatment for Cannabis Use Disorders
- A Qualitative Analysis of Online Forum Discussions on Cannabis Use and ADHD
- Cannabinoids in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomised-controlled trial