From the Project CBD Archives:
CBD & Diabetic Ischemia
Researchers looked into CBD’s health effects in an animal model of diabetic brain damage.
Leafy Greens & Diabetes
β-caryophyllene is a terpene present in cannabis as well as many dark green, leafy vegetables.
Synthetic Cannabinoids: Dangerous for Diabetics?
While smoking cannabis appears to be helpful for diabetics managing weight and insulin levels, synthetic cannabinoids could be dangerous.
From the Project CBD Patient Survey:
See the full survey here.
169 People survey respondents reported taking CBD for diabetes
53% Female | 44% Male | 3% Prefer not to say
Most participants taking CBD for diabetes had Type 2 diabetes (72%). Many reported that they were taking CBD for other conditions, in particular, pain (77%), mood issues (49%), and sleep problems (46%). A significant minority of this group (14%) also reported taking CBD for GI diseases.
Participants were asked about their typical blood sugar levels before and after they started taking CBD. Though the average levels with CBD were still high, they showed significant improvements over the pre- CBD levels, decreasing by about 27% on average. Participants also reported significant improvements in neuropathy-type symptoms (i.e. nerve pain, tingling or numbness), and some improvements in their ability to maintain a healthy weight.
Changes in Blood Sugar Levels:
Changes in Symptoms:
Scientific Research on CBD & Cannabis for Diabetes:
- The impact of marijuana use on glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance among US adults
- CBD attenuates cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, fibrosis, and inflammatory and cell death signaling pathways in diabetic cardiomyopathy
- CBD lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice
- Neuroprotective and blood-retinal barrier-preserving effects of CBD in experimental diabetes
- Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice
- Diabetic retinopathy: Role of inflammation and potential therapies for anti-inflammation
- Cannabinoids alter endothelial function in the Zucker rat model of type 2 diabetes
- The endocannabinoid system in obesity and type 2 diabetes
- Cannabinoids and endocannabinoids in metabolic disorders with focus on diabetes
- The endocannabinoid system and plant-derived cannabinoids in diabetes and diabetic complications
- Cannabinoid-mediated modulation of neuropathic pain and microglial accumulation in a model of murine type I diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain
- Biochemical and immunohistochemical changes in delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-treated type 2 diabetic rats
- Efficacy and safety of CBD and THC-V on glycemic and lipid parameters in patients With Type 2 diabetes