From the Project CBD Archives:
Cannabis & Sleep Disturbances
What role does the endocannabinoid system play in sleep? Can cannabis help you sleep better?
The Curious Case of CBN & Sleep
A molecular biologist deconstructs a cannabis industry myth.
“Legacy” Medical Cannabis Conditions
New studies on cannabinoids for glaucoma, nausea, and insomnia.
CBG! A Compound With Intriguing Medical Potential
What do we really know about “the mother of all cannabinoids”?
From the Project CBD Patient Survey:
See the full survey here.
1,521 survey respondents reported taking CBD for sleep problems
69% Female | 29% Male | 2% Prefer not to say
Survey participants were slightly more likely to report having problems staying asleep rather than falling sleep, though most people reported having difficulty with both.
Other health issues were common among those using CBD for sleep, in particular, pain (73%), mood issues (63%), hormonal conditions (20%), PTSD (18%), and gastrointestinal disease (15%).
People taking CBD for sleep were slightly more likely than average to use CBD with or from cannabis (rather than CBD from hemp alone), meaning they were more likely to be using some THC with their CBD.
Survey participants were asked to estimate how many minutes it took them to get to sleep with and without CBD, and how often they woke in the night with and without CBD.
Participants reported that CBD helped get to sleep more quickly, reducing the average time from about an hour to 20 minutes. Perhaps more importantly, participants reported waking up less often when using CBD for sleep (about a third as many times).
# Minutes to Get to Sleep:
# Times One Wakes in the Night:
A majority of participants reported improvements in how they felt upon waking. Almost three-quarters of participants reported waking up tired without CBD; 9% reported waking up tired with CBD.
The significant improvements in how participants reported feeling upon waking when using CBD was likely connected to the decrease in the number of times they woke during the night.
Feelings Upon Wakening:
Scientific Research on CBD & Cannabis for Sleep:
- Effects of acute systemic administration of CBD on sleep-wake cycle in rats
- Effect of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on nocturnal sleep and early-morning behavior in young adults
- CBD modulates sleep in rats
- Endocannabinoid modulation of cortical up-states and NREM sleep
- Intranodose ganglion injections of dronabinol attenuate serotonin-induced apnea in Sprague-Dawley rat
- Endocannabinoid Signaling Regulates Sleep Stability
- Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Sleep: a Review of the Literature
- Effectiveness of Cannabidiol Oil for Pediatric Anxiety and Insomnia as Part of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Report.