The action of a CBD topical is generally limited to the skin’s three layers, where it works through a process called cutaneous cannabinoid signaling, promoting healthy skin barrier function and renewal. This anti-itch cream utilizes CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties — which has been shown to heal minor skin wounds and soothe various types of dermatitis, including eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, bug bites, and poison oak.
- Kitchen scale
- Spice/coffee grinder
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Double boiler and/or crockpot
- Fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Small glass jars for finished oil and topicals, preferably amber or other dark color
- 1/2 cup CBD topical base oil
- 2 tablespoon shea butter
- 2-3 tablespoons beeswax pellets or finely chopped beeswax
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup bentonite clay, pink kaolin clay or a half-and-half mix
- 2 teaspoons witch hazel
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 10 drops lavender
- Make CBD topical base oil.
- Using a double boiler or a heat-safe bowl that can sit in a pot with about 2 inches of water, heat the infused topical base oil and shea butter over low to medium heat.
- Add the beeswax.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda, bentonite clay, witch hazel and apple cider vinegar to the mixture.
- Add the peppermint, tea tree, and lavender oil. Blend well.
- Place a spoonful into the freezer for two minutes, then check consistency. If too thin, melt some more beeswax pellets over low heat in a separate pan and mix in.
- Pour or spoon the cream into a jar with a tight-fitting lid, label, date and store in a cool, dark place. As it continues to cool, the cream should solidify into a spreadable consistency.
Apply to inflamed, itchy skin as needed. Discontinue if skin becomes more irritated.
Other Home Remedy Recipes
- CBD Topical Base Oil
- Antibiotic Salve
- Inflammation & Pain Balm
- Inflammation & Pain Tincture
- Sleep Aid Tincture
- Stress Relief Tincture
Melinda Misuraca is a Project CBD contributing writer with a past life as an old-school cannabis farmer specializing in CBD-rich cultivars. © Copyright, Project CBD. May not be reprinted without permission.
Detailed instructions for creating a DIY Cannabis Home Remedy Kit that includes tinctures, salve, and a cream.
This CBD base oil recipe can be used in a variety of topical home remedies.
CBD and Mānuka honey are potent allies in the fight against bacterial infections.